If you want to stay on track this holiday, here is a quick 15-minute workout to do the morning of and a few recipe ideas to try out. Otherwise, wherever you find yourself celebrating, remember to indulge in moderation and get back on track the next day. Have a safe holiday!
Do each exercise for 1 minute total before moving onto the next one. Tip: Download an interval timer app onto your phone and set both the high and low intervals at 30 seconds with 15 sets (15 minute duration). For the first 5 and last 5 exercises, you keep working through the 30-second signal, but for #’s 6-10 do the interval 100% for the first 30 seconds and rest the second 30 seconds. If you need more explanation on an exercise you can find similar variations of these on YouTube etc. If you want additional follow along 15-minute workouts, then don’t miss this summer sale on our DVD/Digital workouts!
- Wood chop with a dumbbell
- Push-ups with alternating Deltoid Row
- Prisoner Lunges without weights
- Deadlift to Shoulder Press using dumbbells
- Tricep dips
- High-knee twist -interval
- Air Jacks-interval
- Speed Skate-interval
- Burpees -interval
- Sunflower (hold a wide plié squat and alternate sides bringing elbow to thigh bending at the waist)
- Moving Down dog to Plank
- Swimming (lay face down and alternate lifting opposite arm/leg)
- Plank hip dips (on forearms and toes alternating reaching each hip towards the floor)
- Double leg stretch (laying on back, extend arms overhead as legs reach out and then squeeze in a ball)
Pork Ribs with Dry Rub
For the Dry Rub
- 1/4 cup coconut crystals -optional
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry basil (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the Ribs
- 3 full racks of baby back ribs with pleura removed-membrane covering the bone side (each rack is about 2-3 lbs.)
Instructions for ribs
- Rinse the ribs and then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Place the ribs on large pieces of foil on shallow baking pans.
- Apply the dry rub evenly on both sides of the ribs.
- Wrap the ribs in the foil, making sure you have a good seal to keep in the juices and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the ribs at 200 degrees F for 4 hours in the oven
- Preheat a gas grill for about 10 minutes and unwrap the ribs and pour off the cooking juices into a container for use in the barbecue sauce.
- Place the ribs on the grill, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes with the lid closed.
- Turn the ribs over and cook for an additional 10 minutes before serving.
For the Barbecue Sauce
While the ribs are cooking on the grill, combine the cooking juices and the diced garlic and simmer in a medium saucepan for 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining ingredients below and simmer on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups of cooking juices from the ribs (or beef stock)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely diced
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- black pepper to taste
Lime Cilantro Coleslaw
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers (depending on your heat tolerance), seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, onion, cilantro and jalapeños.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Mix together and serve.
Grilled Veggie Skewers
Yields 8 servings
- 4 small zucchini, quartered
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 red onion sliced into large chunks
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- t tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2-4 TBSP olive oil or grass-fed butter
- Alternate threading the sweet potato, zucchini, onion and tomatoes onto eight metal or wooden soaked skewers.
- Lightly coat vegetables with olive oil or butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; sprinkle over vegetables.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning frequently.
Not Really Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yields 1.5 dozen
- ¾ cup of coconut flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 3/4 tsp of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of raw honey
- 3/4 cup of sunflower seed butter
- 2 TBS of softened grass-fed butter (Kerry Gold, Organic Valley)
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand is dairy and soy free)
- Preheat your oven to 350-degrees F
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl
- Mix all of the wet ingredients in a smaller separate bowl
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Roll cookie dough into 2″ balls, and press down with a fork
- Bake on a silicon cookie sheet or with parchment paper about 9 – 11 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Skinny Watermelon Cooler
Yields 2 servings
- 8 ounces of watermelon pureed
- 12 ounces club soda
- 2 TBSP squeezed lime juice
- Sea Salt
- Mix together all of the ingredients in blender except salt and ice.
- Salt the rim of two glasses, fill with ice and pour mixture over ice!